Pages

Wednesday 27 July 2016

Winter Learning Journey Day 5

Day 5 - Activities 1 - 3

Activity 1: Some Olympic athletes become famous not because they win but because they have an amazing attitude and great determination. They are sometimes called ‘underdogs.’ One of the most famous ‘underdogs’ in Olympic history was a man named Michael Edwards. He was a ski jumper from England who competed in the 1988 Olympic Games in Calgary, Canada. Although he came last in the event, he never gave up. Recently, a movie has been made about his life. It is calledEddie the Eagle.”  For this activity, watch the trailer for Eddie the Eagle and then post a summary of the movie on your blog. What is the movie about?

My Summary

Eddie is an unstoppable ‘trynna be’ Olympic skier. When he was very little he had a broken leg so most of the doctors said to give up, but he never did. When he found a new sport Skiing, he thought I should try this sport out, he did. Fails came a lot of times until he called a person that could help him with trying to ski. He finally reached his full potential and the world never forgot him. ‘Eddie the Eagle’

Activity 2:  In 1936, a 13 year old girl named Marjorie Gestring became the youngest person to ever win an Olympic gold medal. She won the gold medal in the springboard diving competition. Imagine that you were alive in 1936 and you had the chance to interview her. On your blog, post five questions that you would like to ask the Olympic champion (if you had the chance to meet her!).

Questions :
  1. What actually made you want to start a diving career?
  2. Who is your inspiration? Inspiration for diving?
  3. When you didn’t want to do diving (When you were nervous), what would you do?
  4. When you were 5 years of age, did you ever think you were going to be doing diving?
  5. Were you excited when you received your first Gold Medal?

Bonus:  Jesse Owens was a black American athlete who participated in the 1936 Olympics in Berlin, Germany. He is considered to be one of the bravest and most inspirational Olympic athletes because he competed at a time when the leader of Germany (Adolf Hitler) did not want black men competing at the Olympic Games. Here is a picture of Jesse from the 1930s.
Can you think of someone in your own life that inspires you? On your blog, tell us who your inspirational person is and why they inspire you.

My Inspirations

My favorite inspirations are my parents. Alissa & Paul, they are very loving to my siblings and to me they are my inspirations because when they have an opportunity to do something, they would just go for it. My dad would usually say “Study & Learn, make sure you are going to get a proper learning journey”, I like that saying. My mum would encourage me & never give up on me. That's basically why my inspirations are my Mum & Dad.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.