Pages

Monday 26 December 2016

SLJ ~ Summer Learning Journey Day 10 Week 2

Day 10 – School Days
After meeting with the local family yesterday you are inspired to learn more about how people live in different countries. You and your family decide to go out and visit a local market. When you’re there you meet a student who tells you all about what it’s like to go to school in their country. The student also gives you a page from their diary that shows you what a typical school day is like for them.

Here is an example of a school diary for a student from Germany.

Time
Day 1
Day 2
8:00 - 8:45 a.m.
Math
German
8:45 – 9:30 a.m.
History
Religion
9:30 - 9:40 a.m.
Break
Break
9:40 -10:25 a.m.
English
Music
10:25-11:10 a.m.
English
French
11:10-11:30 p.m.
Break
Break
11:30 – 12:15 p.m.
Art
Physical Education
12:15- 1:00 p.m.
Science
Science
Activity 1
Think about your school and what you typically do in a day. Compare it with the diary from the German student. What is similar? What is different? In your blog, tell us:
The differences are that in my own school we start at 8:55 - 9:00 am. Some classes in my School has a different routine.. In my class we have a little talk until 9:15am and then we start on Reading, If we have enough time for Fitness we will have a good run and game. After Fitness we do writing until 11am which is our Interval! After Interval there is SSR (Sustained Silent Reading) for 10 minutes while drinking Milk. Next is Maths until 1pm which is our Lunch. Topic Study is after Lunch and it goes until home time which 2:40pm.
  1. Whether you would rather go to school in New Zealand or in Germany
I would most likely want to attend a school in New Zealand but I would still desperately go for Germany for a exciting - packed adventure
Why you feel that way?
Being honest, I would be anxious and nervous! (But still absolutely excited)
Image result for Learning in Germany
Activity 2
Think about your favourite subject at school. In your blog tell us:
  1. The name of your favourite subject?
Maths!
  1. Why it is your favourite subject?
Because I just normally have a passion for Maths and numbers, I really enjoy having to solve number problems and everything involved with it!
Bonus Activity
Once you have looked at the other school diary, it is time for you to make one of your own. What do you in a normal school day? Use the template below as a guide and post your own personal ‘Day in the Life of…’

C:\Users\rwil313\Desktop\Example of a Primary School Timetable.png

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Aaliyahna!

It was really interesting to read more about your experiences at school. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to view the timetable that you made and posted to your blog. Could you please double check that it has been properly loaded? I am really interested in knowing all about your school day at Glenbrae!

From what I have read it sounds like you are a mathematician. I also LOVE maths and so does my son, Aronui. He often asks me to 'quiz him' on the way home from school. He is just 6 years old so I don't usually ask him tricky questions but we have fun any way. His favourite thing to do is addition. What is your favourite kind of maths problems to do? Addition? Subtraction? Multiplication?

I will definitely check back within the next day to see if you've had the chance to re-post your bonus activity blog. I hope that you will!!

Keep up the great work, Aaliyaha. It is such a pleasure to blog with you :)

All the best,

Rachel :)

Unknown said...

Hi Aaliyahna,

I too am having trouble seeing the picture of your timetable, however your enthusiasm for Germany is not misplaced! It is an amazing country with lovely people! I really hope you get to visit it some day!

As a teacher I know that you'll know what parts of maths you might want to work on improving next year. For me I want to improve on how I teach maths - more specifically I want to be able to pick out all the different strategies students use!

I hope you're having a great day!

Mark

Aaliyahna M said...

Hi Rachel & Mark! Sorry for that, maybe a malfunction! I will try reloading and updating! Thank you for your opinion!

Rachel ~ I absolutely love Maths which makes choose between all, I pick Division & Addition!

Unknown said...

Hi Aaliyahna! Great choice - I love division and addition as well :) Thanks for reposting the template - I think that it may be my computer so I will try to log onto this blog again when I get to work next week to see if I can view it. I'm sure that my computer at work will be able to download it :)

Thanks so much for all of your awesome comments. I love being able to 'chat' online. It's so much fun!

Cheers, Rachel :)

Unknown said...

Hi Aaliyahna!

It's interesting to read your school timetable. I'm so glad to see that you usually have a fitness time each day - that's so important for everyone's health and for fun!!! And I'm also really glad to see that you have silent reading time while having a healthy snack of milk. I hope you enjoy the chance to read each day - again, that's a healthy habit to have!!

It's wonderful that you enjoy math so much! In Canada we're trying to encourage girls to study maths at university as it tends to be something that more boys do than girls. I hope that you'll continue to enjoy maths - there are so many different kinds to learn about.

And learning about school life in Germany is interesting, isn't it? Children in different parts of the world can have very similar school experiences or very different school experiences from our own. It's always cool to hear about how other people's lives and interests.

Keep up the great blogging!

Leslie

Unknown said...

Hi Aaliyahna!

It's interesting to read your school timetable. I'm so glad to see that you usually have a fitness time each day - that's so important for everyone's health and for fun!!! And I'm also really glad to see that you have silent reading time while having a healthy snack of milk. I hope you enjoy the chance to read each day - again, that's a healthy habit to have!!

It's wonderful that you enjoy math so much! In Canada we're trying to encourage girls to study maths at university as it tends to be something that more boys do than girls. I hope that you'll continue to enjoy maths - there are so many different kinds to learn about.

And learning about school life in Germany is interesting, isn't it? Children in different parts of the world can have very similar school experiences or very different school experiences from our own. It's always cool to hear about how other people's lives and interests.

Keep up the great blogging!

Leslie

Aaliyahna M said...

Hi Leslie! Yes, I love fitness and milk, I really appreciate what all the sponsors do for schools! Also yes, I LOVE Maths. Learning in Germany is quite interesting actually!

Cheers,

Aaliyahna

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.