Pages

Tuesday 27 December 2016

SLJ ~ Summer Learning Journey Day 11 Week 3

Week 3: It’s time to be entertained!
This week you will learn a great deal about the sports, television shows, movies, music, and people who are famous in your country. It will be a really entertaining week!
Day 11 – He Shoots, She Scores!
After a full week of sightseeing in your new country you are given tickets to attend a local sporting event. Check out the links below to see videos of athletes playing two of the most popular sports in each country.
Canada
Ice hockey - Olympic Gold Medal Game in 2002 between Canada and the United States of America [3:04 minutes]

Canadian football - Grey Cup (Championship) Game 2013 [8:52 minutes]
Japan
Sumo wrestling Sumo wrestling competition in Fukuoka, Japan [6:54 minutes]
Baseball - Highlights of World Baseball Competition Game between Japan and Mexico [4:33 minutes]
Activity 1
Take a picture of yourself participating in a popular New Zealand sport. On your blog tell us the name of the sport and why you have chosen it.

This is not actually me, but I did not have a picture of myself to post! This is students of Glenbrae School participating in Basketball!
Activity 2
Write a short paragraph describing your sporting hero. Who is he/she? Why are they your favourite sportsman?
Well, my favourite sportsman is Valerie Adams the reason why is mostly because of her accuracy when it comes to Shot-Put. She is confident and loud speaking (Means, she say’s what she really wants to say). I really enjoy that she is a inspiration to other girls or even boys! I think that she has a lot of potential and she is using it wisely, I met ever met Valerie Adams I would have a legit interview ready!
Image result for Valerie Adams GIF
Bonus Activity
According to the Love New Zealand website, the most popular sports in New Zealand are rugby union, rugby league, netball, soccer and cricket. In your opinion, which of these sports is the best one? On your blog tell us which sport you think is the best. Be sure to tell us why. Give us as many reasons as you can!
From my own opinion I would really say, Rugby Union. You must be thinking, why? Well, my first reason is because New Zealand is so successful in this state of Rugby Union. My second reason is because of New Zealand’s Haka!, I really adore this haka! My next reason is because of the respect that the players have. I have many more reasons just like how the players are so encouraging towards each other and their opponents. My very, very last reason is because the games are so entertaining and enjoyable to watch!
Image result for All Blacks Rugby Union

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Aaliyahna!

You're a basketball player are you? How cool! I played basketball throughout high school, as did both of my daughters, Rachel and Leigh. It's a really popular sport here in Canada so there are both school and community teams. What position do you like to play?

And I share your admiration for Valerie Adams! It was wonderful to see her compete at the Olympics in the summer! She's a powerful and talented athlete. I hope that many girls will aspire to excel as she does.

And I can understand why you enjoy watching rugby union although I find it too rough. The Haka is very impressive, isn't it? Our grandson, Aronui, is only 6 but he can perform the Haka and he was inspired to learn it by watching the rugby players. As you say, there's a lot of camaraderie on the the Rugby Union team - very admirable!

I hope you're enjoying your summer holidays!
Great blogging!

Leslie

Unknown said...

Kia ora Aaliyahna,

I agree! I really enjoy watching the rugby too! Have you ever watched a baseball game? It's about as exciting as cricket to watch, I think most people just go there because they like eating stadium food and shouting support loudly hahaha!

I think Valerie Adams is truly inspirational also, not just for boys and girls, but for all kiwis. To be as good as she is, she made lots of sacrifices and struggled really hard. On some levels it is lucky that she is the best, but on others you can see that she is the best because she ignored the people who told her she couldn't do it, or that her sport wasn't lady-like, and now she is a national hero!

I hope you're having a great holiday,

Kia kaha,

Mark

Aaliyahna M said...

Hi Leslie & Mark! Yes, I absolutely love Basketball - (At times). I basically play any position! Yes, Valerie Adams is an amazing role model to me!

Cheers,

Aaliyahna

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.