Pages

Tuesday 3 January 2017

SLJ ~ Summer Learning Journey Day 17 Week 4

Day 17 – Famous Sights
Before you leave to head home, you will want to dedicate a few days to sightseeing in your country. There are dozens of beautiful buildings and gorgeous natural wonders. Scroll down to see pictures of three of the most famous landmarks in each country.

Activity 1
On your blog tell us which of the icons you would most like to visit in your chosen country. Be sure to tell us why you have chosen it!
For Canada I have chosen the CN Tower,Hmm? You must be wondering why, well to me It definitely reminds me of New Zealand and how it it identical to the Sky Tower in New Zealand. It may not be the same size but comparing it to me, I reckon it’s identical.
Japan, well that’s a different story, in one of the older activities I did some research about Japan and I really enjoyed reading about temples and castles and yes, I have chosen a Castle. I love Japanese Castles/Temples!
CN Tower – Tallest building in Canada
C:\Users\rwil313\Desktop\CN Tower.jpg
Himeji Castle – Best existing example of Japanese castle architectureC:\Users\rwil313\Desktop\Himeji castle.jpg


Activity 2
Let’s imagine that you have been asked to host a visitor from another country. They are going to come and stay with you for three days. During that time, you are expected to take them on a tour of New Zealand and show them some our most famous icons. Where would you take them? If it was me, I might take them to Mt Cook in the south island, to the Sky Tower in Auckland and to Chums Beach in the Coromandel. What about you? On your blog, tell us which three famous places in New Zealand you would go with your visitor.
First I would definitely comfort this person by taking them to the Auckland Sky Tower, Kaikoura & Te Papa Museum. These places are very famous for New Zealanders and perfect for tourists!
Bonus Activity
Take a picture of yourself standing beside a popular place in your community. It can be anywhere that’s pretty popular in your area (e.g. a store, a restaurant, a marae, etc). On your blog please tell us about the landmark. What is the name of it? Where is it? Who goes to it?
I don’t have a picture of myself but I will insert a picture of one of the places I desperately need to visit and take a picture with it!
Image result for L&P Bottle


6 comments:

Mr. Nath said...

Well done Aaliyahna. What a wonderful learning journey you have embarked on. I am pretty sure that you have gained so much knowledge about those two countries you have chosen to study while enjoying your school holidays.

I have just got back back from an exciting trip to Whangarei and I really enjoyed learning about some of the visitor destinations in Northland.

Keep up with your blogging.

Unknown said...

Hi Aaliyahna!

I'm not sure if I've told you about my trips to Japan, but I definitely have visited a few temples and yes, my favourite things to visit are their castles too! When I went to Osaka there is a castle there and this lady who is a volunteer gave me a free tour! It was such a fantastic experience. She told me all about the history of the castle, how many times it had been burned down during war, and about the bloody Samurai battles that were fought on the very same stones I was walking across!

It was pretty exciting.

I liked your post about what you would do with the tourists. Honestly some of the best moments I have had have been when a local has shown me around their city. I love Taiwan for that reason.

And finally, the activity talked about your community. My community doesn't really have much except for a dairy, a school, and a small volcano, so I probably would have gone and taken a picture outside one of those. But again, I'm always down for taking a picture in front of the big L&P bottle, so I can't blame you for wanting that as well!

Kia kaha! Keep up the fantastic work!

Mark

Unknown said...

Hi Aaliyahna,

I love to read that you would visit the CN Tower if you went to Canada. It is a truly spectacular building that looks a lot like the Sky Tower. You're right!

I had the chance to visit the CN Tower a few months ago when I was in Toronto with my family. I had forgotten just how big it is until I was standing at the base, looking up at it from the ground. It looked like it reached all the way up into the clouds. All of the other tourists with me were 'oohing' and 'aaaahing' when they saw it. I reckon that tourists would also 'ooh' and 'aah' if they came to New Zealand and visited the landmarks that you suggested. Kaikoura, Te Papa and the Auckland Sky Tower are all very much worth seeing. I would recommend that tourists spend some time viewing the Gallipoli exhibit at Te Papa if they have time. There is actually an activity related to the exhibit in the Summer Learning Journey programme (Day 15, Bonus activity).

I really hope that you are able to get to Paeroa one day to have your picture taken in front of the L&P bottle. Both Mark and I think that it sounds like a great idea!

Kia kaha!

Rachel :)

Unknown said...

Hi Aaliyahna,

You've been blogging steadily - wow!

Did you choose the CN tower as an interesting place to visit because you like being away up high?? I admire you, if you do, because I find it very hard to be above tree-top level. When the CN tower was first built my family took a tour. The viewing area around the outside of the restaurant has a clear floor so you can look out all over the city of Toronto and look down, down, down to the ground below. My knees got weak and my legs felt like jelly when I looked down - not a comfortable feeling at all!!! Perhaps you wouldn't mind being so high. Have you been up the Sky Tower?

Like you, I'd be really interested in seeing the castles and temples of Japan. My daughter Rachel has had that experience - she taught english in Japan for a year and was an excellent tourist, traveling to see as many interesting sites as possible during her time there. She found parts of Japan very beautiful and mystical. She also said that it is a culture that is very very different from our Canadian culture. I hope you'll have a chance to travel overseas some day, if you haven't already.

I'm thinking you chose the L& P bottle as something you'd like to have your photo taken with because you love this product? How fun!

Great blogging!!

Leslie

cherise said...

Hi Nanza
Well I really like the Bottle
heheh ( I know Im dry )
KEEP ON GOING

Kelsey said...

Hello Aaliyahna. You've done such a super job of providing pictures and thoughtful comments about where you would visit in Canada, and what you recommend visitors see in New Zealand. I haven't been to your country, but Rachel and Leslie (my niece and my sister!) are old hands at living or visiting there, so I'm following their commentary closely! I have been to the CN Tower, but it was a long time ago since I don't live in Toronto anymore. It is an impressive building for sure. There are many equally enjoyable buildings to visit in Toronto, and I hope you have the opportunity to see these in the future.

I also am interested in Rachel's suggestion about the Gallipoli exhibit at the Te Papa museum. New Zealand's history, like Canada's, isn't well know outside your country, so it's important to highlight your contribution on an international basis to an event like the first world war. You can see a video of a song called Waltzing Matilda that commemorated the disaster at Gallipoli. There is a version sung by a famous Canadian singer, John McDermott. You can find it on youtube if you are interested, but because it is pretty grim, you might want to check with your parents before googling it.

Good luck with school in the autumn!

cheers, Kelsey

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.