Pages

Friday 7 July 2017

Te Oro : Hawaiian Workshop🌴✈️

Earlier this week, 40 students had the opportunity to attend the Hawaiian Workshop, held at Te Oro to learn a Oli (a chant) & the Hawaiian traditional dance, the Hula! I was one of those students attending, I met some students (Sixteen to be precise) that attends High School in Hawaii & I just love their accents!
I learnt a lot about the Hula, including that the Hula was originally performed by boys, but in a more aggressive way and my tutors did mentions that the boy's hula is similar to the Maori cultural Haka!

Here is the lyrics for the Oli Mahalo (Chant) all the students learnt.

Oli Mahalo
Uhola ʻia ka makaloa lā
Pū ʻai i ke aloha lā
Kū kaʻi ʻia ka hā loa lā
Pāwehi mai nā lehua
Mai ka hoʻokuʻi a ka hālāwai lā
Mahalo e Nā Akua
Mahalo e nā kūpuna lā, ʻeā
Mahalo me ke aloha lā
Mahalo me ke aloha lā

Translation

The makaloa mat has been unfurled In love, (food is/was shared) we share The great breath has been exchanged Honored and adorned is the Lehua From zenith to horizon Gratitude and thanks to our Akua Gratitude and thanks to our beloved ancestors Gratitude, admiration, thanks, and love To all who are present, both seen and unseen.

I really enjoyed learning the Oli Mahalo as well as the Hula, it was a great musical chant and beautiful effort was put into dancing the Hula! 
Image result for Hawaii Punahou
"Punahou of Hawaii"

2 comments:

Amy Tofa said...

My dream place to visit is Hawaii. I like the information you have provided about Hawaii. Do you remember when we watched the video of the Hawaiian male dancers and the extensive training they go through for their dances. Was the dance workshop physically challenging? What a lovely opportunity for you all.

Aaliyahna M said...

I remember! Yes! They train their mindset physically, as well as, mentally!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFT-M18N2A4
From my personal perspective, learning the Hula dance, wasn't hard at all, but I reckon it is because I have experience with Cook Island dancing. It truly was a lovely opportunity!

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.